For two people in love, having a wedding that you’ll remember and cherish forever is something both parties dream of. They will go at all lengths to get it. But did you know that you can plan your own wedding and save a lot of money in the process? Most of my friends have asked me to help them plan their weddings knowing that I have been in the events industry for quite some time. Planning can be truly daunting but if you do it correctly and know the basics then you’re off to a great start.
What inspired me to write this article is a site I recently saw and that truly gave good advice for couples who want to do it themselves. The site is called BridePOP. It’s a site run by a community of brides and brides-to-be. I think it’s a neat idea to use the site as a source for inspiration and resources. They have great diy articles, an advice column, tips on being creative and a gallery that showcases different motifs for a wedding. Also, it looks like they will soon have a vendor guide where brides-to-be can search for the vendors they’ll need to make their wedding a dream one.
Here are some tips for those who want to do their own planning:
1. Make a list of guests you plan to invite – this must be on the top of your list, because it will determine your budget. Let me elaborate, if you know the number of guests you will have then it will be easy for you to choose the perfect venue, and this will also determine the amount of money you will need to shell out in terms of food and drinks and even the kind of entertainment you want for the day.
2. Choosing the Venue – It’s always a good thing to check out your venue options. Also, some venues will waive the rental fee if you choose them to cater your wedding party. Plus, remember that you have the option to have a food tasting day when you have already discussed and agreed on the menu you want. Most restaurants and hotels will do this and it enables you to personalize your dream wedding even further.
3. Your Invitation – You can check online for invitations that will suit both your personality and style. By checking ahead you can compare prices and see which ones will fit your budget. Having a one of a kind, unique invitations doesn’t really need to be expensive. With so many sites available you’ll be able to see what you’ll get before you purchase.
4. The Wedding dress – Again, doing research will help you find the best prices and the various designs you can choose from without committing to a designer right away. You can then choose to either hire a designer or shop for a dress the traditional way.
5. Wedding Giveaways – Make it personal, again this need not be expensive. Check out the Do It Yourself PhotoBooth example. Wedding giveaways can be customized for you. Make it memorable for your guest as well.
6. Timeline – If you want to be relaxed and you want to enjoy the wedding, give yourself at least 6 to 8 months to prepare. This is the perfect timeline. Create a log book or a wedding preparation journal that will serve as your checklist as well.
I hope the tips above will be helpful to you. They are the basic things you will need to consider if you want to Plan Your Wedding! Check out BridePOP for more wedding-related information.