Rebel Shop Geek Store

Previous Article
Check Out More Of Our Geekery
Next Article
LIFESTYLE | 3 Years Ago By Diana Adams

Multitasking: This Is Your Brain On Social Media

The Effects of Multitasking

Are you good at multitasking? I’ve been a scatter brain my whole life, so for me, sometimes it’s hard to concentrate on one thing, much less a bunch, but I always strive to get better at it. I’m usually the girl who does a face plant on the concrete when trying to tweet on my iPhone while walking down the sidewalk at the same time. Maybe in some situations it’s better to do just one thing at a time.

This morning I started thinking about social media and how different our daily lives are now than they were a few years ago. If you are like me, you are constantly checking Twitter (tweets and DMs), emails, Facebook, etc… throughout the day.

Most people, including me, who are very active in social media have had to sharpen their multitasking skills to keep up with it all. What are the effects of that behavior? How does all that multitasking affect our brain, our creativity and our productivity? Is it really true that the more we can do at the same time, the better we are performing? As it turns out, based on a number of studies, it is possible that multitasking our lives away each day may be causing more harm than good.

According to this Hewlett-Packard study, “Workers distracted by email and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers.” And, according to this now famous study on cognitive thinking, multitasking has a detrimental effect on our memory. This definitely explains my CRS (Can’t Remember Shit) problem, which I’ve had for a while. A study at the University of Utah claims that using a cell phone while driving delays a driver’s reaction time as much as if he or she had a blood alcohol level of .08%.

The Effects of Multitasking

In this New York Times article called Attached to Technology and Paying a Price, a neuroscientist from the University of California, San Francisco said, “The nonstop interactivity is one of the most significant shifts ever in the human environment. We are exposing our brains to an environment and asking them to do things we weren’t necessarily evolved to do. We know there are consequences.

So if multitasking is so bad, why are we all trying to learn how to do it more? Why are employers praising employees for being able to handle so many tasks at once? According to this article on Wired Science, part of the reason we try to handle so much at once is because there is a lot of social pressure to multitask. We get tweets, emails, IMs, DMs, phone calls, all from different people at once.

The Encyclopedia Britannica Blog says that by being a great multitasker, we are sacrificing our creativity, engagement and productivity, “Skimming, multitasking and speed all have a place in the 21st century life. But we can’t let go of deep focus, problem-solving and connection – the building blocks to wisdom and intimacy.

This is a Multitasking Brain

The American Education Group predicts that this will become even more of an issue as time goes on since students these days are constantly plugged in and multitasking. It makes them feel buzzed and alert. However, it also affects their ability to learn, concentrate, reason and grasp concepts in a negative way. And, last but not least, this article on TuttoPersona claims that multitasking is one of the biggest energy zappers out there. What do you think about it all? Do you multitask? Have you noticed any side effects of that behavior? This infographic, by VizWorld, is a great illustration of what multitasking does to our brains.

Click Here For Enlarged Image

The Effects of Multitasking

Header Image Credit: [Noisy Coworkers]

Author Avatar Image Representation

Author: Diana Adams

Diana has a passion for blogging and has written over 4,000 blog posts. You can usually find Diana working in her home office in Atlanta or sitting in the corner of a downtown Starbucks somewhere with her mobile devices in one hand and a Grande Caramel Macchiato in the other. She loves Star Wars, hot chicken wings, and nice people.

www.geekdesign.co.uk

May 7th, 2013

You made some decent points there. I checked on the internet for additional
information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this web
site.

Great website. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to several
pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you for your sweat!

Gertie

May 24th, 2013

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into
any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has
a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d
genuinely appreciate it.

Alexander

May 25th, 2013

you are in point of fact a just right webmaster.
The web site loading pace is amazing. It sort of feels that
you are doing any unique trick. In addition,
The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a excellent activity on this topic!

Evelyn

May 25th, 2013

Terrific post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on
this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it!

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article
is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all vital infos.
I’d like to peer more posts like this .

Selma

June 17th, 2013

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious experience about unpredicted
emotions.

air quality testing

June 18th, 2013

What’s up, after reading this awesome article i am too delighted to share my knowledge here with colleagues.

xbox 360 launch price

June 19th, 2013

I blog often and I really thank you for your information.
Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to take a note of your site and keep checking
for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed
as well.

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on
sites I stumbleupon everyday. It’s always useful to read through content from other authors and practice a little something from their web sites.

Restaurants in Santa Fe

July 11th, 2013

This i – Phone app is certainly useful if you have no idea where to eat next.

The legislation applies not merely to Tamarindo Costa Rica but in addition restaurants,
food markets and stores. Here is another true old saying: ‘Cooking last, Beauty don’t.
The app goes even further by allowing the user to calculate the net intake over a set period by recording food intake and the activities
engaged in to estimate the net nutritional intake. Resources to Find the Best Restaurants in San Antonio.

IPBS Exam

July 19th, 2013

You can also visit various other links to know about the job,
salaries, perks, roles & responsibilities of bankjobs.
If you are applying this year, be thorough with all the
current news of 2011 and some previous years as well.
If candidates are fulfilling these as well as other criteria,
they should send in their applications for appearing in the written exams.
These programs are “hidden” in your computer’s
hard drive and are completely undetectable. With more and more
banks being established in the country, there is an urgent
need for officer and clerical level staffs.