I love cats, my sister cares for 19 cats to date. We did not buy any of them they were all given homes because it’s either their moms left them to fend for themselves early or they have disabilities, and if left alone, they will die. One cat Bitty is blind from birth, Munchy is crippled with her front legs shorter than her hind legs. Taffy a male tabby is epileptic, the rest, were all abandoned and left on the streets. If you have been caring for your pet cats for a long time now, you would already know the cat language they send, but for those new in taking care of them, here are some traits and what they are really telling you in cat language.
If you understand them, then you and your pet can live in harmony.
1. Kneading - They knead their mom’s body when they are kittens, if they knead when they lie close to you, means they have accepted that you are a parent. Cats are not like dogs, they don’t beg for attention.
2. Purr – When they snuggle close to you and you hear a motor like sound coming from your cat then you know its content and happy.
3. Lick their Bodies after every meal - Its bath time for them, they clean, their bodies by licking, they enjoy grooming a lot, but even if they do clean themselves, we give our cats a bath. One of our female calico Dumpling, even plays in the tub.
4. Blink their eyes while looking at you - This is called a cat’s kiss. What you do is try to blink back. Its one way they show their affection and for cat lovers, you know how hard it is for them to show you how they feel. LOL
5. They are digging – When they smell something they don’t like, they would dig invisible liter. When cats have to go potty, they usually make sure they hide it under the cat liter. So when he is not in the liter pan and he or she smells something they don’t like then they do the digging motion.
6. Smell something then opens its mouth – means there is a trace of cat pee somewhere near. Besides smelling with their nose, cats can smell with an additional organ called the Jacobson’s organ, located in the upper surface of the mouth.
And for you to understand cats more, here are OTHER CAT FACTS:
- A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor.
- A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye. White cats with orange eyes do not have this disability.
- A cat is pregnant for about 58-65 days.
- Cats step with both left legs, then both right legs when they walk or run. The only other animals to do this are the giraffe and the camel.
- The catnip plant contains an oil called hepetalactone which does for cats what marijuana does to some people. Not all cats react to it; those that do appear to enter a trance like state. A positive reaction takes the form of the cat sniffing the catnip, then licking, biting, chewing it, rub & rolling on it repeatedly, purring, meowing & even leaping in the air.
- Cats with white fur and skin on their ears are very prone to sunburn.
- Neutering a cat extends it’s life span by two or three years.
- Tylenol and chocolate are both poisonous to cats.
The main image is our cat Gummy Bear - he looks like a little panda bear with his pudgy body and rounded face! Love him to bits.