I really love this quote from Philip Adams, “Unless you’re willing to have a go, fail miserably, and have another go, success won’t happen.” I had the opportunity to hear a talk about how Disney works in terms of their thinking when it comes to strategy. I must say, they follow simple rules yet you can see the impact in everything they do. Some people I know have dreams and goals that they know can be accomplished, and yet they hold back and tell themselves to wait for the right time. I am not saying that we shouldn’t plan the things we want to have happen, but waiting for the right moment can sometimes be the factor that holds us back.
Our attitude in life is what will allow us to make our dreams come true. The way we think and see things can be the guide for us to really focus and succeed in anything that we do. When I was younger, I made a list of the things I wanted to accomplish in life, and little by little I see them being fulfilled, and that allows me to continue to add to the list. Goals and dreams are different for everyone, but in order to make them happen, we all need to follow some simple steps. Here are my personal tips to hopefully help you to make anything happen in your own life, whether it be personal or professional.
1. Don’t just list them, do them - Sitting down and making a list of the things we want to achieve in life is great. It allows us to contemplate on what we want for our immediate and distant future. However, sometimes the list just remains a list forever. Check your list daily or monthly and make sure at some point in time you get that goal accomplished and crossed off. Then move to the next one in line.
2. Don’t let people tell you it can’t be done – In this crazy world we live in, we will always encounter people whose goal in life is to bring other people down. These are usually just people who are insecure about themselves, and they criticize or try to influence us in order to make themselves seem better than us. A wonderful person told me just last week that we will encounter this type of individual, and we should never let anyone tell us that we can’t do something!
3. Don’t be afraid of hard work - Hard work and perseverance go hand in hand with success. Most dreams and goals will require us to work harder than we may have ever worked before. We may need to make some sacrifices, and we may even lose some sleep. However, once you reach that goal, I can guarantee you the good feeling will definitely outweigh the hardships you went through to get there.
4. Think of it as an adventure not a task – This tip is my favorite. I always make sure that I am having fun while accomplishing my goals. Once you look at something as a task to be accomplished, rather than a journey to be experienced, it makes it more unreachable and daunting.
5. Be with people who you know will support you – It is always good to have people you trust around you. These are people who you know have your back and push you to do your best. These are people you know you can ask for guidance and help when things are hard, and you feel uninspired.