Do you have friends that you have not seen for a long time and yet, when you see each other, it feels like it was just yesterday? Some people are quite amazed at that, and do not believe that type of friendship or relationship is still possible. The key is all in how you communicate and thus help build a better relationship. The rules apply to business as well as your personal life.
Communication is key to be successful in whatever field we are in. It is our way to express our thoughts and ideas to people around us. I am very lucky to have great teachers in the field and I am happy to share some tips that have helped me in both aspects of my life.
1. Be sincere – People will know if you are pulling their leg. Tell it how it is and people will appreciate you more and will be more interested in what you have to say.
2. Look at the person when you speak with him or her – This is good for a one-on-one or face-to-face conversation. Look the person directly in the eye. Don’t wander off. I think it is bad manners, by the way, plus the person you are speaking with will think you are not really interested.
3. Listen before you speak – Listening is important, this will allow you to reply with the best answer or advice that you can possibly give.
4. Tell a story – As my mentor always said, what you are trying to communicate will be easier to digest if you try to tell it like a story. People like to hear analogies and facts, it is much easier for them to truly understand your point.
5. Give Value – Make sure that when you communicate, you also try to educate and give value to your listener. By doing so, they will feel your sincerity.
Maybe you have some more tips that you can add to this. We would love to hear your views.