Frustration usually occurs when our intended personal goals and dreams are not met. We may feel frustrated when an outcome of what we wanted to happen simply did not happen, or when we meet challenges. There are so many things that can cause us to be frustrated. Some people act on that feeling, while others do not. More often than not, the cause of our frustrations can be attributed to external forces that we do not have control over. It can be triggered by a situation like a gadget not working, or even by another person. Frustration can block us from feeling motivated. We can react by trying to solve what is causing the frustration, or we can just simply give up.
No matter what the cause is, people respond to this behavior differently. It is normal for us to be frustrated every now and then. It is the way we react to it that is important. Will you try to find a solution, or will you just give in? The worst behavior would be to act violently towards others that are causing the problem. Just like any behavioral problems that we encounter in our lifetime, there is always a way to overcome it. Here are 10 tips that I hope can help you overcome frustration!
1. Talk to a friend – It is always healthy to talk to someone else about anything that is bothering us. Well, maybe not everything, but the point here is to be able to share bottled up feelings with someone instead of just keeping them all to ourselves. Who knows, your friend might have some solutions that can help you!Advertisement
2. Write your successes and failures in a journal – Whether you do it using an online journal or a pen and paper, keeping track of our activities that we feel are limiting us is always helpful. That way, we can have a check and balance as to what worked for us and what didn’t.
3. Accept reality – We also need to check our own reality. If we have done everything within our power to accomplish something, and it still does not work out, then we should try to accept it as it is. What I do in this kind of situation is write a pros and cons list, and then I take it from there.
4. Track your progress – Sometimes we feel that things aren’t moving fast enough, or they are not working the right away. That could lead to a lot of frustration. Do a check list and see how you are progressing. Sometimes small steps may seem like nothing, but being able to cross those small steps off the list one by one is helpful for seeing successful progress.
5. Take a long walk – Taking a break is always good. Do not think of what is causing your frustration for a moment. Hopefully the long walk or break will allow your minds to be clearer once you decide to go back and tackle the problem or situation at hand.
6. Stop blaming yourself – Maybe the cause of your frustration is something of your own doing. Accept that and try to find solutions rather than blaming yourself incessantly. It will only put you in a negative mode which will do more harm than good. It’s your fault; accept that and move on.
7. Stop being angry – Anger is one way to vent our frustrations. It can be either directed towards ourselves or to the one causing the frustration. Watch a funny movie or read the comic page of your newspaper. The point here is to minimize anger so you can think straight. Only when you are thinking straight and calm will you be able to address the problem that is causing you to be frustrated.
8. Take a hot bath or sleep it off – Relaxing your mind by either taking a long hot bath or sleeping it off will do wonders for your tired mind. Being angry or frustrated can make us weak and vulnerable to stress.
9. Be around positive people – It is always good to be around people who are optimistic. You can get energy from them as well as advice if they have encountered similar situations like yours.
10. Try to be positive – Try to think of the other difficult times that you have encountered and yet succeeded in the past. Say to yourself, this too will pass, as it always does. It may not be an easy thing to do, but if we try to count our blessings and see where we have triumphed in the past, we can see that there is no way that we cannot get through this as well.
We all have times in our lives when we get frustrated. It is a natural emotion that we need to get through. As long as we work towards dreams and goals that we want to see happen, we will encounter some sort of frustration. Remember, it is how we deal with it that is important.