I am very lucky to have had a very wise man for a dad. I never really understood what he was trying to convey to us when we were children, but now as an adult, I have realized the life lessons that he wanted to impart on us. They are sort of like rules to live by. With life being so fast paced nowadays, it is easy to get caught up with trivial things or to get so consumed by our everyday problems that we forget to enjoy the beautiful things that life has to offer. This leaves people feeling depressed and unsatisfied, which leads to having that constant feeling of being unhappy.
As I walk life’s journey, I try to keep in mind the following lessons that help guide me whenever I feel I am lost. I also try to impart what I have experienced to people close to me, particularly my younger brother and sister, when I see that they are getting overwhelmed or struggling to find light to life’s problems.
1. Have a balanced life – This took me some time to learn. I was such a workaholic when I started building my career, but lately, I have learned and really put into practice balancing my work and personal life. I try as much as possible not to bring my work home.
2. Be a student of life – Learn one new thing everyday. It can be a word, a skill, anything that can help you grow as a person.
3. Stand by your beliefs and principles – Our beliefs and our principles are developed as we grow older. Make sure that you stand up and fight for what you believe in, even if it means being alone in that decision, especially if you know that you are doing what is right.
4. Work for it – This is one thing that I strongly believe in… work for what you want. Do not rely on fate or others to give you what you want in life. If you want to be successful, work for it.
5. Ask for help when you need it – Whenever I am assigned a new person to assist me at work, the first thing I always tell him or her is to ask for help when you need it. No one is perfect, and no one knows everything.
6. Give yourself to others – Help out someone if they need it. I know a lot of people who have been doing charity work, and they always express the feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment. It does not have to be in a big way if you feel overwhelmed with joining organizations, it can be simply volunteering your time to a worthy cause.
7. Live within your means – I believe this is the wisest advise that I received from my dad. It is okay to buy the stuff that we want, but in moderation. Always look out for the future. It is not good to be in debt just because you want to live the way others live.
8. Daydream a lot, it’s free – It’s always good to dream, and then make it happen. I guess that is why I have a very active imagination, it’s because I daydream a lot.
9. Love yourself – Love yourself first. It will help you show affection and share that love to others more easily. Be forgiving of yourself and of others.
10. Live your dream – Give life to your passion. Don’t just dream about it, live it!
Image Credit: [lightpoet / Shutterstock]